Have an account?

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Fela Kuti on Colonial mentality

Source: www.youtube.com
Fela Kuti interview subtitled
Fela Kuti on Colonial mentality
Everything was a European background,your upbringing your teaching in school.My father was pastor.Everything had to be English in school we were not allowed to speak our country's language in school. And they called our languages vernacular.So English was the real language you had to speak in school,everything was in English. With what we were taught in school nobody was thinking we had to be African or not ,we just accepted that we were English and anybody who went to England it was thought that he was a master you know,everybody want to go to England to come back home to be a master so, I never thought about it,being African as such it didn't mean anything to me,(UNTIL MUCH LATER IN MY LIFE)

It was in England thats I started to feel the awareness of how to be an African because the first time i came to England i started to feel,oh wow, these white people don't like us to much. This was my experience from having to arrange a rooms,at that time you read the newspapers in England,house for rent ,no colored,no dogs,it that it annoyed me a lot.In my student day in England I started to be aware of having to be an African ,but we had nothing to offer as Africans because we were taught in english,like in one of the songs that I am singing now i said' Teacher don't teach me nonsense'right,now I was trying to make my people see, because in African people respect teachers,you know,teachers because they teach English and teach their pupils to respect teachers you know and to Respect teachers and pastor in Africa.

So ok now I saw that I should not use teachers as my focus.So i said i titled this song,Teacher don't teach me nonsense. Now I wove this song to let people see THAT THE WHITE MEN HAVE TAUGHT US EVERYTHING WE KNOW' But I made people see also that one thing that they taught us in particular was politics.Because i wove the song to the elections in Nigeria ,Because it was a 'farce' Now I mentioned democracy,Now in English an Englishman would say demo-cracy,but is an African man will say it in broken,he will say Demo-cree-cy.And I thought of the word and I said demo-crasy.Now I saw craziness,and I said I could not let my people see that democracy really is not really that word,it is really madness so i said now I started to sing ,I said,I started to think of this word democracy,democracy,crazy demo'demonstration of craze'crazy demonstration.'

Then I went a little serious because I know people would laugh at that when they hear that.And I went and i said,if its not crazy why that in Africa as time goes forward things is getting worse' poor man they cry,rich man they mess,democracy,crazy demo,demonstration of craze. Then I ended up y' know to fuck the minds of the colonialists up-I said' if a good teacher teaches something,if a good teacher teaches something,and a student makes mistake,teacher must tell him that he's making mistake.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usnznJZ0XvA
"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Black and Missing but Not Forgotten